Business trips can be tough. Everyone who travels regularly for work knows what it’s like to come home feeling overweight, bleary-eyed and burnt-out. But here’s the good news: you can keep yourself sharp and return feeling ready to go by following our top tips to stay healthy while you’re on the move.
1. Jettison the jet lag
A lot of travel tiredness is caused by jet lag. When you arrive at your destination, fight future tiredness by taking a 1-hour power nap. Exercising will also help but you don’t have to head straight to the gym from the airport – try going outside your hotel for a relaxing walk. Proper hydration is essential to prevent exhaustion so don’t forget to drink plenty of water both during and after your flight. Avoid burnout by managing your calendar to make time for yourself: try to plan some moments to get some rest, explore the city or even relax in the hotel spa.
2. Work out where to work out
Whenever possible, book a hotel with a fitness centre or a swimming pool so that you can easily fit short workouts into your business trip. If that’s not possible, ask at the hotel reception or search online to find the best spots in town to exercise, such as parks, public swimming pools or public fitness centres with per-day subscription rates.
For ‘anywhere workouts’ when travelling, your smartphone is your friend. Check out the following workout applications:
- Nike+: running partner app with personalised coaching to track your progress and help you stay motivated.
- Freeletics: An individual training plan app with high intensity, 10-30 min, bodyweight-only workouts adapted to you and your goals. You can do these workouts anywhere and at any time.
- Freeletics Nutrition: maximize your Freeletics workout and improve your results. This app will help you to manage your nutrition goals.
- MyFitnessPal: free calorie-counter app.
- Water Alert: calculate your water needs per day and get a notification when it’s time to drink a glass of H2O.
For other easy workout ideas, follow these fitness gurus:
- @sugarysixpack: this Instagram fitness girl posts videos almost every day with ideas for short, effective workouts you can do anywhere.
- Top Body Challenge by Sonia Tlev or Bikini Body Guide by Kayla Itsines: these 12-week programs require no or minimal equipment. You can do the 30-minute workouts in your hotel room, at the park or at the gym.
3. Stick to a healthy diet
Travel diets are often terrible. In airports and during flights we tend to make bad choices about what, and how much, to eat and drink. When we arrive, business trips can involve going to restaurants with partners or clients and trying unfamiliar local food. To stay healthy, think twice before you order. Snack on fruits and nuts instead of junk food. Consider calling your airline and asking for a special menu such as gluten-free or low-fat. When in restaurants, prioritize salads and lighter vegetable dishes. Our travel tip is to look out for healthy options including:
- ‘Super foods’ such as almonds, apples, bananas, berries, cherries, dark chocolate and eggs.
- ‘Brain food’ to help you concentrate during long meetings, such as blueberries (which improve memory function), salmon, mixed nuts and avocados.
- Coffee is regarded as a brain food but don’t drink too much – it can prevent you getting to sleep. Try drinking water during breaks instead to stay hydrated. If you get tired of normal water, pick a brand that’s infused with fruit.
- Slow-burning complex carbs such as oatmeal, quinoa and pasta will help your brain stay sharper for longer.
Watch out for water retention: this can be a problem during long flights or meetings. Drink green tea and choose potassium-rich food effective against water retention such as bananas, while avoiding added salt and high-sodium foods such as pizzas and cured meats. Wear loose and comfortable clothes on the plane and consider using support stockings. And don’t forget to stand up and take a walk from time to time.
This is how we do it at Le Méridien Barcelona
- Hit the road: our concierge can provide you with a map of three different running routes, ranging from 3km to 10km.
- Work out: if you stay in our hotel you can enjoy our fitness centre, open 24/7.
- Get personalised advice : move toward your health and fitness goals by consulting a personal trainer at our hotel. For more information please follow this link
- Relax after a stressful day: discover the spa treatments at our hotel. The Explore Spa Studio offers you treatments including Hot Stone Massages, Express Revitalizing Massages and Oriental Massages. For more information, please follow this link
- Make a smart start: healthy breakfasts when travelling help to energize your day. Try our Eye Openers made with local ingredients, and get a vitamin boost with fresh fruits from Barcelona’s iconic Boqueria market. For more information about our Signature Breakfast, please follow this link
- Refuel at break times: choose healthy Coffee Break Elements including turkey sandwiches, fruit juices and teas.