Many company leaders have a no-phone rule during meetings – but is this the right approach in the age of smartphones?
More and more digitally native millennials are entering the workforce each year. For them, a phone is a tool, not a distraction. They know that mobile apps can facilitate meetings rather than hinder them.
It’s time for business leaders to embrace technology and unlock the potential for more effective meetings.
Here are a few apps that can help you and your meeting attendees make the most of your time together, from the moment you begin planning until after the meeting:
- Brain Sparker: Brain Sparker helps warm up your thinking muscles for some heavy creative lifting. It prompts your team to start thinking innovatively and can be used to kickstart brainstorming sessions. It might just spark your company’s next big idea…
- Unstuck: Is something bringing your meeting down? This app helps you get “unstuck” and have a positive, productive meeting. The app provides possible solutions to move past situations like creative block, lack of productivity and fear of failure.
- GoToMeeting: If you’re having a remote meeting but not all of your colleagues can make it, this easy-to-use app can be a lifesaver. Set up a webcam and stream your meeting to colleagues anywhere in the world.
- Paper & Pencil: A new way to take notes. This app allows you to join the paperless movement by capturing ideas and adding diagrams, charts and drawings.
- SpotMe: If your agenda never leaves your side, you’ll love this app. SpotMe allows you to create a detailed agenda, downloadable content and info pages. It even includes a social media platform for keeping meeting attendees connected.
Not every app will meet your needs for every meeting but each can be valuable in specific circumstances. Getting the best from them is about finding a combination that fits with the way you and your colleagues use technology. It’s important not to rush into integrating all of the apps into every aspect of your meeting, especially if your team is hesitant to use smartphones or tablets in this context. Instead, consider trying one app a couple of times to see if it truly works for your team by facilitating meetings and increasing productivity.
Used appropriately, apps are a valuable addition to your toolkit for creating effective meetings. Combine your online and offline organizational strategies with clear goals for optimal results.
Smart technology, the right location and a source of inspiration are essential elements in planning the perfect creative meeting. At Le Méridien Barcelona, you’ll find them all. Our spaces offer a prime location with a modern design in a historical setting and limitless opportunities for discovery. Our original programmes are designed to inspire new ideas and stimulate new connections for you and your team. We strive to create a dynamic and engaging environment that will enhance the quality of your meetings.